Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's potty time

Aaron has begin potty training, or "toilet learning" as some prefer to call it. Aaron doesn't care what we call it, he's just excited. He clearly knows a lot about it, probably from watching his peers at school; he already asks to take off his diaper, sits patiently, and talks while he sits about what might happen. "Maybe some pee come out," he says, "Maybe some poop. Maybe just wait." So far we just wait. But his understanding of the process is what creates the opportunity, yes?


Jordan, meanwhile, has a bathroom development as well, which is that he is no longer comfortable using a public women's room with me. If I'm the one that needs to go, he will wait by the front door (just inside is minimally acceptable for both of us). If it's his turn, he chooses to use the men's room, and I'm the one that waits... outside. Last time I was in that situation, I got occasional reports from nice guys leaving the bathroom: "He's just washing his hands now," that kind of thing. That was helpful, but it's still tricky for me, because public men's rooms have a less than stellar reputation. On the other hand, I want to respect Jordan's preference. Hopefully most of the time, Dale will be available.

No comments: