Saturday, December 10, 2011

Violations

1.

Aaron threw a shovel at a friend at school on Thursday, giving the other kid a good whack to the head. The injured party was very cheerful about the whole thing, declaring "I know it was an accident, Aaron! I still want to be your friend!" But there has been a certain disregard for safety lately so we felt a need for followup. As part of making reparations Aaron wrote a letter of apology ("Dear Evan, I am sorry for throwing a shovel at you. Love, Aaron.") and made a lego airplane for his friend as a gift. At school the next day, Dale supervised a short ceremony in which the two kids sat in opposite chairs and the card and gift were presented. The event attracted a small crowd of other children. Evan was delighted with the whole thing, especially the lego airplane. The other kids said, "Aaron, if you hit me on the head with a shovel will you make me a lego airplane too?"

2.

I was giving Jordan and his friend Watson a ride home after basketball last night. I told Jordan that Grandma would by joining us for dinner, and Jordan cheered. Then:

Watson: Why do you like your grandma so much?
Jordan: Because she's really nice. She does fun things. And when we go to her house she has a Wii. And she makes yummy dinners.
Watson: Oh. Sounds good.
Jordan: We get to have sleepovers and it's really fun. In her apartment she sleeps in the upstairs part and Aaron and I sleep in the downstairs part. She goes to sleep and Aaron goes to sleep and I am still awake. I wiggle Aaron and I say "Aaron!" and he doesn't wake up. So I get up, and I go silently into the kitchen, and I steal a cookie. It's so easy.

No comments: