Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I already did that.

In the car on the way home yesterday:

R: I think your homework tonight is to correct any errors on your math test.
J: I already did that.
R: Hm. It was written in your planner.
J: Right, but I did it at school.
R: I also saw the test in your folder, and it didn't have any corrections on it yet.
J: Oh. That must have been another test.

I can't tell whether this is evasiveness or forgetfulness. The chances that there was another math test that he corrected are small. There could have been some other math assignment that he corrected, or a test in another subject, that maybe he was absentmindedly thinking I was referring to. Maybe he just didn't know what I was referring to because he wasn't listening at first; that's fairly likely. As far as I know, Jordan is not one to just baldly lie, but if he was going to fudge something, it would surely be to get out of doing homework.

A few months ago, walking home from school, we had a conversation something like this:

J: Mommy I figured out a new strategy today!
R: What's that?
J: Sometimes we are reading and Mrs. Crawford calls on me and I am still reading so I don't know what the question was. No idea at all, because I didn't hear her, because I was still reading. But if I say, "Oh, I know that!, but what is it again? I can't think of it, it's right on the tip of my mind, um, what is it again...," and I do that for long enough, then she will call on someone else like Sydney and then Sydney gives the answer. And I don't have to.
R: Oh, really. Do you think Mrs. Crawford knows what is going on?
J: No, Mommy. I am very good at this. She has no idea.

I assume that Jordan is underestimating Mrs. Crawford, who has a lot of experience with crafty nine-year-olds. I am not really worried about that. But I was a little bummed to hear that he is needing to develop a repertoire of evasive strategies to cope with the consequences of his inattention.

No comments: