Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Memorial

We held a memorial for Dad in San Francisco, because he lived there for fifty years and had an extensive community of many dear longtime friends and colleagues. We held it at the same place he had chosen for my mother’s memorial: the Golden Gate Club, a beautiful old building in the Presidio, overlooking the bay.

Dale prepared this beautiful welcome sign, along with an incredible slideshow of pictures spanning Dad’s entire life, which played silently throughout the event.



About 100 people attended, including his beloved buddies from the law office on Webster Street, old friends from his first days in San Francisco, the author of a book about Dad’s most famous trial, and many admirers from the Hall of Justice, including lawyers, judges, and detectives.















Another bunch of attendees were dear friends of my aunt's. One said, "I've never attended an event before that was half lawyers and half lesbians," which was pretty funny. Another took all these great photos, for which we are very thankful.





Here is my dear friend Rebekah, who helped Dad (and me) so much throughout Dad’s illness, talking to Mike Weiss, author of Double Play. Rebekah and I have now seen each other through the deaths of all four of our parents.


It was really a beautiful afternoon. It was a gift to me to receive condolences from so many people who loved and respected my father, some of whom are as close to me as uncles and aunts, and some of whom I had never met. It also felt good to give all of these people the opportunity to remember and mourn him together. They loved him, and they needed a chance to embrace each other in loss. Several people spoke from prepared remarks, some of which I will share in other posts.

No comments: