Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Women's March

On January 21, we marched as a family in the Women's March and had a truly great day. The Seattle organizers anticipated 50,000 people but 120,000-175,000 showed up (depending on who you ask), so we had to be flexible with the logistics: the march started in a neighborhood park that quickly became impossible to get to, we tried to park in a different neighborhood and take the bus but every bus stop had a hundred people waiting and buses passing by without stopping because they were jammed full, so we just drove to somewhere along the route and started walking. And it was perfect. We met friends by accident, which was incredible in such a huge crowd. Someone gave me a pussy hat. Seattle's march was literally led by indigenous women, dressed in their finery and singing their hearts out. We saw thousands of signs of every kind. We had people asking to photograph my gorgeous sign, thank you very much, I might make it into a T-shirt or something. We marched for two hours, because we had a two-hour parking place, then drove to the endpoint and parked in Dale's garage at work and marched there. Someone interviewed me on camera. We stopped at a grocery store for sushi. And then we went home, tired and buoyed and amazed. What a day. I hope yours was great too. 

Here's my sign, and Jordan's, and Aaron's. I'm super proud of mine - I drew it myself!




And here we are all together.


No comments: