Saturday, November 18, 2017

Halloween

This year for Halloween I got it in my head that I wanted to make a kitty litter cake. This has got to be the most revolting cake joke ever, while also being delicious and funny (not scary). You start with homemade chocolate and vanilla cakes and crumble them together... in a catbox. Brand new from the store of course, but still.


Then you mix the crumbles with pudding, to make it stick together, and cover the top with white cookie crumbs. Some people like to stain a fraction of the cookie crumbs green, to mimic the chlorophyll that is in some kinds of cat litter, but I just left it plain.


Then you make homemade fudge, and roll it into poo shapes.



Isn't that lovely! I laughed and laughed the whole time I did this. Some people like to use tootsie rolls instead, but of course fudge is better. Then you arrange plenty of poo in the catbox. You just have to drape one over the edge, don't you agree? It puts the whole thing right over the top.


And then you serve it with a scoop. New, like the catbox, but still.


Once I had decided to make a kitty litter cake, of course I had to be the cat. Our friends have an annual fabulous Shabbatoween party, so there was a great audience. I draped a towel over the catbox and carried it around with me at the party; with each person I met, I said, "I am the most polite cat you'll ever meet because I bring my own catbox," and unveiled the load of poo. I said I was carrying it around "for convenience."


It was the BEST. People shrieked and cracked up and recoiled and went to get their friends and kids to show them what I had. After a while I served it. Some people could not eat the poo; others only ate the poo. Some people could not eat it at all. One friend of Jordan's said, "I have mixed feelings about this cake. My tongue is telling me it's delicious, but my mind is telling me to throw it up." One friend of Aaron's said, "Wow, your mom's poo is the best!" It was all very satisfying.

I also made my Shabbatoween classic, candy corn challah. Horrible stuff, and yet, we just have to have it.





No comments: