Saturday, December 15, 2018

Whale boat

(This should have been August.) Fred and Linda took us whale watching toward the end of our visit. I’ve been whale-watching before, and I have learned not to expect much: I try to think of it as a fun boat ride with beautiful views, and whatever else I get to see is a bonus. Well, this trip blew me away. We were surrounded by whales! Mostly fin whales, which are huge – only the blue whale is larger. There were also Minke whales, seals, and porpoises, along with various birds, and the aforementioned great views of the Maine coast. 







This lighthouse has no road access – you can take a boat or you can walk there, and at high tide, you can’t walk there either. They’re turning it into a B&B… talk about a quiet getaway.



At the end of the ride, they pulled up a couple lobster traps just to show us what that’s like, and anyone who wanted to got to hold the lobsters. Fun stuff!





No comments: