Monday, April 6, 2009

Statements

Jordan was eating cashews with me (he loves cashews) when he said, "Mommy, let's always live in this house and never move to another house.  Because I like this house.  Let's live in this house until we die."  I smiled and hugged him and said I liked this house too, and we would stay here.  "Maybe someday you'll want to go to college, though," I said.  "Do you know what college is?"  He didn't.  I said how little kids go to school and then come home every day, but that when you get older, you can go to a school and live at the school, and it's pretty exciting.  He said, "I don't want to go to college, Mommy, because I don't want to live in another place.  I just want to live here."  Well, I'm glad that's settled.  That'll save a lot of money.

Aaron, meanwhile, came over to me with a penny, which he was excited to show off.  A penny is a sort of a terrible thing for a one-year-old to be playing with (choking hazard) and after dutifully admiring his find, I asked him where he got it.  "Was it on the table?" I asked.  He sat in my lap and said "Yeah," but then he always says that.  Then he turned around to look at me and said, "In basket."  I knew just which basket he meant (I had set it on the floor in our bedroom and meant to pick it up).  But the striking thing was his original, unprompted answer to an informational question.  Aaron communicates plenty, but most of what he says is so strongly contextual that you have to look at what's going on to figure it out.  This seems like new territory.

No comments: