Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Three knocks

We had our first night of Passover tonight, just through the Four Questions.  My innovation from last year, to break up the ceremony over several nights, continues to strike me as brilliant:  the kids are just starting to get restless and hey we're done for today, wasn't that fun?  Also reduces the burden on the solo cook.  

The boys' school closed early, so there was lots of time for them to participate in setting the table, cutting the early greens from our garden, and looking out for Elijah.  The funny thing was that just after we lit the candles, there was knocking.  Uh... Elijah?  No:  a woodpecker, on our back deck.  Okay.  Then during dinner, another knock!  Elijah!  No:  the UPS guy.  "But I didn't catch his nametag," quipped Dale.  Hm.  After dinner, we were all upstairs in the playroom, and there was another knock.  This time it was a canvasser, from the ACLU.  I gave her my standard treatment, but as I went back upstairs I thought - should I have invited her in?  The ACLU doesn't seem like an entirely unreasonable source of modern-day redemption.  The woodpecker I didn't feel bad about, and the UPS guy was already back in his truck by the time Dale got to the door, but the ACLU's young representative looked distinctly hopeful.  Have I delayed the messianic age?

No comments: