Thursday, January 7, 2010

Self-portrait series

I deal with the constant production of kid art by poking it all in a drawer, and then at the end of each month (supposedly), picking out the stuff worth saving and recycling the rest. One of the interesting progressions from this month is a series of self-portraits by Jordan. This one is from preschool, I think around November 2008:

Here is one from Mother's Day 2009, which I posted about before:


This one is from the second month of kindergarten (October 2009). He explained, "This is me with a lion's mane and it's Halloween so I'm wearing a warm jacket." I think he was covering for parts of the drawing that were unintended, like his hair going all the way around his head.

And this one was a big project completed just before winter break (December 2009). I think he looks like Barack Obama.

1 comment:

astrobassist said...

The first one and the last one there look like pretty decent modern art--I bet you could get them hung on the walls of a hip coffee shop.

I think it's a great idea to keep some of it...My mother recently made me a little book of some of my artwork and daily journaling from 3rd grade; it is priceless!