Sunday, September 12, 2010

Olympic Peninsula: Beach, river, dam

When I was in college Rialto Beach was one of the most powerfully significant natural places in the world to me.  It's awesome:  explosive crashing waves, gargantuan rock formations out past the tide pools, huge beach logs piled violently on top of each other.  Calling it a "beach" almost feels misleading -- there is little sand, it's not warm, and overall there is no invitation to relax.  On the contrary, it's downright dangerous.  But it's beautiful, and the ruggedness just increased my respect for and immersion in the place.  I remember sitting on the beach for an hour once just letting the noise of the waves pound my ears.

On this trip I sadly had to admit that the ruggedness was perhaps just plain harsh.  Back in the day, I hardly noticed the howling wind and freezing cold - at least I don't remember minding it; and clambering over the beach logs and stumbling through the irregular rocks, I think I just took that for granted.  Visiting the beach as part of a family whose members' ages span 67 years, now, that brought the wind and the cold and the potential for breaking your neck quite vividly to the front of the experience.  We didn't stay long.

Jordan loved it, and would have jumped all over the logs like a goat for half the day if he had had the option.


Aaron was much more troubled by the wind.  


I wish he had been troubled by the log-jumping too, but no, he wanted to go all over everything just like his big brother.  Aaron is all reckless delight, fearless, no interest in his physical limitations.  (Totally different from Jordan at the same age, who was cautious and respectful of possible danger.)  This was another reason we had to leave quickly.

We found ourselves some access to a flat, rocky riverbed, and spent a while there wading, rockhopping, and looking for little fish.  Actually the kids did that with Sue and Dale while Dad and I relaxed under a tree.


Later (was it even the same day?  I'm not sure, and I don't think it matters) we stopped by the Elwha Dam for a last look.  This is the "last dam summer" for the Elwha River; in an absolutely gigantic project, its two dams are being removed to free the river for salmon runs and general ecosystem rehabilitation.  It was fascinating to see the dam in person and imagine it not being there.  It's really big.  (UPDATE 9/13/10:  NPR had an excellent 4-minute story on this today.)  



The boys were mainly interested in the construction equipment.



No comments: