Sunday, November 2, 2014

Tashlich


Rosh Hashanah was over a month ago, but oh well, better late than never. Tashlich was at Matthews Beach during a miraculously sunny part of the day. The Seattle Times was there as usual and got some great pictures.

The children love this ritual. I try to help them be thoughtful about it instead of merely feeding the ducks; so I invite them to share what regrets or sins they are tossing away, if they are willing. (If they feel this is too personal, they do not have to share.)

Aaron: I threw away one time that I was not nice to Silvercoat (his plush raccoon). I called him a little coo.
Me: Oh, really. I am sure he would forgive you if you asked him.
Aaron: Yes I think so. In fact he did already. But I still wanted to throw it away.
Me: Got it.
Aaron: And I threw away one time that I .... [starts to cry] Mommy I don't like to even think about it -- [crying for sure now]
Me: Oh honey, what is it?
Aaron: [sobbing] One time I got mad at Jordan and I said I wished he wasn't even there, 
Me: Oh, sweetheart. You feel so sorry about that.
Aaron: [trying to pull himself together] I'm going to try and go have a little fun with him now to cheer myself up.
Me: Okay.

He ran off to play on the beach with his brother. I feel sure all is forgiven.

No comments: