Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool's Day

I have strict rules about April Fool's pranks (that I perpetrate).

1. No lying. No "Hey, there's a dragon in the backyard!" No telling the children that they are actually adopted, or are alien spawn.
2. Nothing too messy. The saran-wrap-on-the-toilet bowl thing is right out.
3. Nothing that puts other people to an obnoxious amount of trouble, like when you tell your husband that a Mr. Bayer called for him and give him the callback number for the zoo, and the poor people at the zoo have to answer that stupid phone call about 5000 times.

This leaves plenty of room for entertainment. This morning I dyed the milk blue. I also put scotch tape over the bathroom faucet, and cinched down the sprayer handle on the kitchen sink with a rubber band, hoping to spray Dale not once but twice. Sadly, both arrangements were technically imperfect and the water just spluttered instead of spraying. It still made him laugh, though. He had not realized what day it was.

How did I not suspect what he would be up to while I was in the shower? I tried to open my laptop and something seemed to be very wrong with the latch, but no, it was ... taped shut. Perhaps with the tape from the bathroom faucet. When putting said laptop in my bookbag I found it was already full of Harry Potter volumes. And when I went to put my boots on, they had underwear in them. Jordan especially liked that one.

We collaborated on the kids' lunches: each got a small tupperware container full of sock. (That's in addition to the food, not instead of it.)

1 comment:

Hunter said...

Thanks for keeping us from worrying that you do not feed your children on April Fool's Day. Although, I don't think it was one of your rules.