Monday, May 16, 2011

The little goat

First day of class was great.  The participants are very hardworking and enthusiastic, especially the graduate students, and that makes it fun.  Here is a picture of everyone in the classroom.


For dinner my hosts took me out for roasted baby goat at El Rey de Cabrito, a very famous restaurant, everyone who visits Monterrey has to go there.  The goat was very tasty.  You are served a big portion of meat, more anatomical than I am used to, and you eat it like fajitas, on tortillas with onions and tomatoes and salsa and lime.  I am stuffed.


Afterwards, we were welcomed into the kitchen to take photos with the roasting goats.  These are in the front window of the restaurant so I think they are not actually being roasted.  The gentleman in the photo is my host; his wife took the pictures.  They have been very hospitable.




I have found out that local people don't drink tap water; my hosts frowned and said "Oh no no no" when I asked about it.  They do, however, drink iced drinks, and eat raw fruit and vegetables, so it's not like when we were in India.  I am trying to play it safe.  The graduate students were more liberal about it; they drink bottled water because it is convenient and everyone does it, but they think it is probably okay for locals to drink tap water more than they do.  They explained to the older adults that in the US, tap water is completely safe to drink.  The adults looked very skeptical.  "They have stricter standards," the students insisted.  I backed them up, and said actually these days there is an effort to have people drink more tap water, because of the waste from all the bottles.

No comments: