Thursday, May 19, 2011

Monterrey campus

I gave my plenary talk today.  I made a sincere effort to speak slowly and clearly, and apparently I succeeded, because I ran out of time!  I told my hosts that it was because there are no clocks anywhere.  After my presentation I was honored with a certificate and a gift, a beautiful coffee-table book called Un Oasis Verde: Campus Monterrey.



It's true, too.  The campus has made itself a haven for plants and animals that flourished here before there was a big city.  The first ones I noticed were the Mexican ducks.  These are maybe a little on the ugly side, and have irritable personalities (or so I hear).  There are also scrawny cats that hunt the ducks; I didn't document those.


There are also peacocks (los pavos) all over the place, and deer (ciervos).



I like the public art and the architecture a lot -- modern, big shapes, great use of color.  This building is called The Blender (la licuadora).



This one looks like two buildings but is actually one; it's two giant slabs, face to face but at an angle to one another.  It is called the Napkin Holder (and I don't know the Spanish.  Servilletero?).


No comments: