Thursday, October 6, 2011

Love and loss

Aaron woke up today looking teary.  He had had a bad dream, he said, about his friends being trapped in quicksand.  His love and sadness was so transparent it made me feel sad for everyone I have ever lost, from my mother to Steve Jobs.  I asked him who the friends were that had been trapped, and he said, "It was Emanuel," starting to cry all over again.  "He is my best, best, best friend."  We talked about how there is no quicksand and Emanuel is safe.  I asked if there was anyone else besides Emanuel.  He said "There was Clementine," looking worried again.  We reminded him that Clementine and Emanuel are safe and he would see them at school today.  Dale said, "There is a sweetness to your dream, too, because it means that you care about them a lot."  Aaron said, "I care about them so, so, so, so much," and tears leaked onto his cheeks.

Here are the three of them at Clementine's birthday party this weekend.

No comments: