Friday, December 29, 2017

Haircuts

After Jordan's bar mitzvah I decided that I would let him take the lead in his hairstyle. I'll still offer him haircuts, but instead of saying "Haircut time, let's go," I am now saying, "I am making a haircut appointment for Aaron; would you like a haircut also?" The first time I asked the question this way, he said no. He likes his long bangs. That's fine with me. Here he is recently with a chicken.


Amusingly, I had a similar haircut when I was a couple years older than he is now. I found this cute photo. I would guess that I am sixteen here, and that that's my high school in the background, but I'm not sure.


In my opinion, hair is a wonderful canvas for self-expression. That black hair above is not my natural color; I used that to cover up a series of color experiments that started when I was fourteen or so. First I had short hair (what my grandmother lovingly called a "pixie cut"); then I had blunt-cut stripes in the back that alternated brown and blonde; then I bleached it very pale blonde and wore it messy and grew a braided tail, just like Aimee Mann in the Til Tuesday era. (I wish I had pictures of myself with blonde hair, but people just didn't take so many pictures then.) In art class, I realized that my bleached-to-death hair soaked up color like crazy, so I watercolored it in random rainbow hues. Then I dyed it a color that I hoped would be an elegant peacock blue, but turned out to be a ridiculous Smurf blue instead. I couldn't live with that for long, so I covered it up with black. Then I went into a less punk, more hippie phase, and just grew it out naturally for the next several years. Through all of this, my smart parents never said a word. In fact, they paid for all of it without saying a word, which I now think was wonderfully generous of them on both counts.

Aaron, meanwhile, still happily gets terrific haircuts from our regular stylist, Leslie. She is excellent and he looks great.


No comments: