Sunday, April 7, 2019

Cakes

I have fun with cake. One cake that I made last month was for the dessert dash at a garden-themed fundraiser gala: it was a coconut cake, decorated with yellow buttercream, white fondant daisies, and green coconut grass.


While I think this was a great contribution, I think that people at a dessert dash have their hearts set on chocolate. I observed people grabbing very straightforward (I think boring) chocolate items over what I thought were much more fun, original non-chocolate items.

Another cake I made recently was to celebrate the retirement of Warren Buck, a wonderful physics gentleman who helped found UW Bothell. My cake was for the “family party” (just the physicists) and he requested chocolate. He used to be a particle theorist among other things, so I made a Standard Model cake: the design is an image that is basically the periodic table of quarks, with the “W” quark modified to be the university W. It was delicious and well received.


No comments: