Thursday, March 19, 2009

Eating food


Food is on my mind in a big way.  I read The Omnivore's Dilemma avidly and then spent a month in supermarket paralysis, in doubt about everything, not knowing what to eat.  Then In Defense of Food came in at the library, and whew, okay, I get it now.   Food.  "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."  Investigating edible items in my household, I found very little that was not food, but there were some disturbing exceptions.  The supermarket-brand graham crackers, for example, contain "interesterified soybean oil."  What science experiment am I unwittingly participating in by eating that (or feeding it to my one-year-old)?  Turns out "interesterification" is the latest substitute for partial hydrogenation -- another process that makes soy oil solid at room temperature.  Uh... no thank you.  There were some other oddities, including L-cysteine in the frozen pizza.  Food-grade cysteine is made from either human hair or duck feathers, and acts as a dough softener.  I'd rather have hard dough.

I'm having a good time spending a predetermined amount at the farmer's market every week, and am starting to think how we could get economical access to healthier animal products, in particular.  We're thinking of buying a pastured cow and keeping it in the freezer for the year.  A physics professor colleague of mine at Evergreen is also an organic farmer who has livestock - maybe we can get one from her.

I was happy to see the pro-whole-foods editorial in the SF Chronicle, and I am totally delighted that the Obamas are planting a garden at the White House - just like Pollan suggested!  Maybe something is really happening.

No comments: