Saturday, March 22, 2014

Outside and inside

In the car on the way home from grocery shopping.

Aaron: Mommy I think that I am what you might call sensitive.
Rachel: What do you mean by that?
Aaron: Because I ran and fell down and it didn't even hurt very much, but I cried.
Rachel: Yes. Maybe you feel things more, and that is called being sensitive. Or maybe, and this is what I think, maybe you show your feelings more. Your feelings are on the outside.
Jordan: I think that is right. What Aaron is feeling just comes right out.
Rachel: Jordan, I think you are not the same way.
Jordan: Yes. I keep my feelings more inside. I know how to make a bubble around bad feelings and then sometimes I can make the bubble go away. But you can't do that too much. There was a guy in a book who did that so much that he got a bad rash on his leg and it wouldn't go away until he let his feelings out.
Aaron: I always let my feelings out. So that would not happen to me.
Jordan: Also everyone can see your feelings, so they can help you. That is good. You show them you are sad and then they can maybe help you feel better.
Aaron: Also it's quick.
Rachel: There are good things about each of your ways. Jordan, I think what you are doing sometimes when you are quiet about your feelings is that you are cheering yourself up. You know how to help your own bad feelings go away.
Jordan: I think sometimes I don't know what I'm feeling.
Rachel: I totally get that.

No comments: