Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Silly questions

I am filling out forms for summer camp, and the forms are particularly extensive for Camp Kalsman, the Jewish overnight camp Jordan will go to for the first time this summer. Some of the questions on the form are to be answered by the camper. Jordan has been to this camp for a day trip, and he has been on the receiving end of a lot of camp promotion through religious school.

R: Hey Jordan, I am filling out forms for camp, and they want to know what you are especially looking forward to. Any thoughts?
J: I really want to play on those play structures that they have. I am looking forward to a campfire, and canoeing, and being in a community. And the Jewish stuff. And the food. I think it's okay to say the food, right?
R: Sure. "Being in a community," wow, that is a very grownup thing to say.
J: So? I am looking forward to that.
R: Okay, I just mean that other kids might say "I want to be with my friends" or put it some other way. But that's great. They also want to know if there is anything you want to get out of camp.
J: Get out of?
R: Like, do you want to learn something, or come home different from when you left. Some people might say I want to make five new friends, or I want to learn to shoot a bow and arrow, or some other thing.
J: I think I am pretty good just as I am.
R: Then last they want to know if there is anything you want them to know about you.
J: I'm a pretty nice guy? These seem like kind of silly questions.
R: Some people might say, I hate to be tickled so never tickle me.
J: I actually kind of like being tickled. But you don't have to tell them that.
R: Some people might say, I love to be tickled, please tickle me all the time.
J: No, definitely don't say that.

This conversation was very amusing to me. Jordan is a pleaser; he likes to know the right answer, and give people answers that will make them happy, and clearly he felt that he knew the right answers to the first question. But the second two questions just seemed strange and unanswerable to him. He is not a goal-oriented kid; he doesn't decide to do something for some larger purpose; he just does it because it's fun, or because it's what we do. And what would anyone need to know about him? In his eyes, he's just a normal get-along guy, nothing anyone would need to adjust to or plan for. I don't think he even knows what that would mean. We do ask funny questions sometimes, we adults.

No comments: