Thursday, August 28, 2008

Silken tofu

Seized with the urge to create something in the kitchen, I almost baked a lime-pistachio pound cake, but couldn't find baking powder anywhere.  Perhaps it's a good thing.  Since there's not much you can bake without baking powder, and I've already been to the store once today, I tried to move on.

One of the ingredients I've been wondering how to use up is silken tofu.  I have three boxes of the stuff.  A favorite food blog of mine suggested making a berry mousse out of it:  one block silken tofu, 1-1/2 c berries (I had frozen strawberries), 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla.  Blend and blend in a powerful blender or food processor, until silky smooth.  We did; and wow.  Delicious.  And startlingly healthy.  I could even have used less sugar.  Right now it's kind of a runny texture but in the fridge it will supposedly set in a couple of hours.  Jordan did not wait.

Next:  I'm cooking fish tonight and I've stopped even fantasizing about slathering mayonnaise onto things, I'm so WW-trained, but aren't you supposed to be able to make mayonnaise out of silken tofu?  You can.  I did.  Amazing.  It is so luscious and lovely, I want to eat it with a spoon.  And I can, with no guilt!  One block tofu, a sprinkle of vinegar (I used rice vinegar), a sprinkle each of salt and sugar.  Blend until creamy.  Try varying the kind of vinegar, or use lemon.  Try different sweeteners.  I also added a teeny clove of garlic.  Other spices would be great, I'm sure, I just wanted to keep it basic this time.

I still have another box.  suggestions?

No comments: