Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cook-it-up month

To follow up on a couple of days ago, the grits/polenta were (was?) delicious.  I cooked the whole lot in the slow cooker (just the proportions on the box, cooked all day on Auto)... creamy lump-free goodness.  Stirred in a big stir of parmesan at the end.  I topped that with a Tuscan-inspired combination of lacinato kale, sliced sausages, and beans .... baked beans that I was trying to figure out how to use up, actually.  I rinsed off the sauce, and the remaining sweetness was actually a very nice contribution.  Tabasco over it all if you like that kind of thing.

The silken tofu mayonnaise, meanwhile, was so good I almost bought another box of silken tofu today!  Aaron loved it too -- I dipped broccoli in it for him, and he kept sucking off the mayonnaise and handing me back the broccoli for another dip.  I didn't even mind; after all, unlike real mayo, this was actually food.

I have decided that cooking up everything in my cabinets/freezer is a terrific idea and something I should do regularly.  I'm going to designate one month of the year to be Cook-It-Up month.  What's the right month for this?  (And can anyone think of a catchier name?)

No comments: