Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Countdown

Jordan and I were at a coffee shop last week (an occasional treat when I pick him up early from school) and I asked him how it feels to live in our house with all our stuff packed up.  "Does it feel a little funny, does it feel just the same, is it kind of fun, or what?"  He thought, and chewed his mini scone, and said, "It feels a little bit strange, Mama, because I don't know when we will move to Seattle."  This seemed very perceptive, to me, to be troubled by the uncertainty.  (And I love how he's calling me Mama lately.)

Now, though, we know when we're moving!  So I set up a countdown calendar for him.  It's September and October, cut out from a spare calendar his teacher had lying around, and taped to his activity table in his room.  We put a sticker on each day, and there's a big purple star on the day we fly to Seattle.  Jordan is just getting the hang of calendars and immediately asked, "What day are we going to Eli's for dinner?" "What do we do after we fill up all these boxes?" (the September ones), and "Why are there these animals here?"

Unfortunately I didn't notice until we got home that it is a 2009 calendar, so the days are one off.  I decided to just go with it.

32 days to go!

No comments: