Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New address

I won't post it here, but we have a new address, hooray!  We are new residents of the St. Theodore Apartments at 65th and Roosevelt.  Although our lease doesn't start until Oct 1 (and we won't move in until Oct 15), we can start using the address right away for billing purposes, which is very helpful.  We can now get Seattle cell phone numbers!  Very satisfying.

The apartment of course is not our forever home, but I think it'll be a good start.  It's our old neighborhood, so it's very familiar and easy; it's about 1.5 miles to the boys' school (as opposed to the 6 miles we drive now), and it's just a few blocks from Theo's house.  It'll be an urban existence - we're in the middle of a shopping area and we won't have a yard - but there are parks nearby.  When Bekah checked the place out for us she found it to be fine, much as advertised, except that there is fairly extensive construction going on with the balconies and exterior walkways.   (They were built without enough drainage... not something you can get away with in Seattle.)  They were working on our very doorstep when Bekah toured.  I tried to use this to negotiate for a shorter lease, or a lower rent, but instead was offered free parking for both cars, worth $150 a month.  We can live with that.  We do need the parking, not only because of the rain, but because the street parking situation is complicated... two hours here,  10am-3pm there, every day but Thursday on this side, metered on that side.  Bekah thinks we'd be forking over $150 a month in parking tickets.

1 comment:

astrobassist said...

i don't remember if I sent this to you yet, but it is a little tom robbins quote about how peacefully his main characters walk through the seattle rain...

"They strolled calmly and smoothly, their bodies perfectly relaxed. They did not hunch away from the rain but rather glided through it. They directed their faces to it and did not flinch as it drummed their cheeks. They almost reveled in it. Somehow, I found this significant. The Zillers accepted the rain. They were not at odds with it, they did not deny it or combat it; they accepted it and went with it in harmony and ease. I tried it myself…I got no wetter than I would have otherwise, and if I did not actually enjoy the wetting, at least I was free of my tension. I could even smile."