Saturday, October 18, 2008

Landing

We're settling in for our second night in the apartment, and things are going great.  We've gotten everything in, put together the beds and the dining room table, unpacked the kitchen, and even had home-cooked breakfast and dinner today.  (And hooked up the internet!)  We're still tripping over boxes, and the dresser drawers are full of things besides clothes so there's nowhere to put the clothes, and various surfaces are covered with many miscellaneous items; but for our second day here, I think we're doing great.  

The apartment is terrific.  Everything is clean and functional and well-designed (except the walkways).  It was a sunny day today and the big southern windows were in fine form.  Aaron likes to stand up on a bench and point at the birds and dogs and whatever else is out there.  Both kids took naps, and the late afternoon included a fun walk past an aquarium store to a great playground.  Sue is spending the weekend here to help us with the kids while we finish unloading and run errands.

The Camry was returned to us today as well.  I had a little bit of an adventure coming up with over $1000 in cash on a couple hours' notice, but it worked out.  Who knew you could just get that much from an ATM?  It took two cards, but so what.

It takes moving to a new place to make you realize just how many necessary objects are involved in the simplest tasks.  Today I kept starting to do the dishes but needed soap, a sponge, a brush, a dish drain.  I even did that Lily Tomlin thing where you buy a garbage can and take it home in a bag, then when you get home you put the bag in the garbage can.  I've been grocery shopping a couple of times, too, and it wears me out, because I don't know where things are.  And I spend five minutes furrowing my brow over what kind of bread to buy, because bread is different here.  Better, by far - great bread is everywhere I look.  But that doesn't make the decision simpler.  

No comments: