Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Civilized existence

We are really in a position to appreciate the pleasures of a civilized existence right now, and this house gives us a lot to appreciate. I work at the dining room table, looking out into Long Branch Park.

And I can't not bake. Did I say a few days ago that I was "not going to have any urgent cake-baking coming up"? Ha. In this lovely and well-appointed kitchen, how can I not make a treat for our generous hosts to enjoy when they return? I'm thinking of caramel cake. And then I remembered that we're having a giant yard sale on Saturday, and for a yard sale one needs baked goods, right? Jordan loves to help me. We got started last night with sand tarts, something Mom used to make, a cookie that uses only the three essential ingredients: sugar, flour, butter. Okay, some vanilla, and you roll them in powdered sugar, but still: elemental.

No comments: