Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's all small stuff

That's my mantra.  And it's true.  A kitchen full of normal kitchen things is not really a whole kitchen, it's one shelf.  Then another shelf.  You keep chipping away at things and hey, a whole cabinet is empty.  

An enormous amount of stuff is not really necessary for daily functioning - I mean, I love my perfect cake pans, but I'm not going to have any urgent cake-baking coming up.  A couple of skillets and saucepans are most of what I need for cooking, even for months at a time.  The daily-use dishes went into the rickety armoire in the basement.  The rest is sealed up and in the attic, not to be seen again until Seattle.

The weather today is amazing, with an actual cool breeze blowing.  We have all the windows open, practically unheard of at this time of year.  One guy is outside working on the exterior trim.  The other has finished the ceilings in the bedrooms and the hall, the trim in our room, and the necessary priming (not the whole wall, just where there were stains or cracks to smooth out).  Now the work is beginning in the living room.  Phil almost let himself be trapped under a tarp; he liked where he was sleeping.

I asked Sergio how they do the trim and he showed me that you don't have to sand it at all - you have to have very good quality paint, but when you have the right kind, it sticks to the old glossy paint just fine.  They must be doing something to smooth out the dings, too, but I haven't seen that.  

No comments: