Sunday, July 27, 2008

Haddon update

I went to Haddon today and made room for the couch and the chair in the basement; the workers were kind enough to do the heavy lifting. We didn't want those to be left anywhere damp, not even the garage. Non-upholstered furniture is fine in there, though. I made sure there was nothing else we needed out of the attic, since tomorrow the floor work begins and we might not be able to go upstairs at all. We'll still have access to the basement, for what that's worth. With the rest of the furniture in there it's even more absurd than before. You would have to climb over the couch to get to the bed, and the bed is covered with stuff anyway.

The main floor continues to be a total construction site, dust and workers in every room. I think it's going to be great but it's a little hard to see past the hubbub at the moment. I believe they're supposed to finish painting today. Seemed like there was still a lot going on... on the other hand the new colors are on all the walls, and that's toward the end of the process. One of the guys conveyed to me that there is some difficulty in the bathroom – they’re painting over the wallpaper and I think some of the paper was coming off. His English is about as good as my Spanish, so I can’t be sure of the details. I figure, if Sergio hasn’t called me, it’s not an emergency. I know some stuff at the Glenway house was a pain in the neck, too, and he just dealt with it. (For example, the paneling in the basement took three painstaking coats to cover what was there, all by hand.)

While I was back in the neighborhood I met with the neighbors (on Clayborn St) to get an orientation at their house. It's going to be really nice to stay there - it's a three-bedroom home with a gorgeous kitchen - I'm thinking of baking them a pie or something! We are so grateful for their hospitality... housesitting involves much trust. It will really be a relief to be back in our own neighborhood. Out here we feel isolated. There's nothing to do inside the house, and the weather is awful, sickly hot and thunderstorming.

No comments: