Sunday, July 20, 2008

Using what's here

I'm trying to use up the food in our kitchen cabinets.  Why move it when we could eat it?  And what's it there for, if not to be eaten?  So instead of my beloved Six O'Clock Scramble routine, I now plan our weekly meals around what's already in the house.  I really like this: it's frugal, it honors the food, and it's an interesting challenge.

Dry beans were the first thing.  They're easy to use and they cook in advance.  All I have left of these now is a lot of lentils.  Grains are also pretty easy because they go with everything, although I am challenged by all this barley.  I made a pilaf yesterday & we'll see if people like it.   Another challenge is all these prepared sauces and canned chili, which makes me realize I never use these in my normal life.  Remind me not to buy any more unless I have a specific plan.

This week my menu includes tomato soup with dumplings made from leftover matzo ball soup mix; canned chili with cornbread, using up the last bit of cornmeal in the freezer; frozen chicken shiu mai, with veggies, served over sticky rice with teriyaki sauce; canned soups with baked potatoes; canned baked beans with croquettes made from grits; and lentils and rice with caramelized onions (which is much more flavorful than it sounds).  All we need from the grocery store is some fresh fruit and salad fixins, and basics like milk and bread -- I'm expecting about $35 for the whole week!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so creative when it comes to many things especially cooking. What a great idea to use what's left in the cabinets. It not only gets rid of everything but it saves money. Keep up the great work!

Deena

Aviva Goldfarb, CEO, www.thescramble.com said...

Hey, Rachel, you're moving? Seattle's a wonderful place, and at least I know we'll still be online together. Let me know if you come up with any Scramble-worthy recipes in your cabinet foraging mode--good idea to use up all that stuff before moving!! You may be able to find some good recipes by searching on the scramble database to help, and check out the barley-corn salad recipe on my blog this week if you haven't yet found a use for your barley.